Google Website Translator Gadget_________ ATTENTION "Αγγλικά" is ENGLISH !!!!!

Παρασκευή 9 Ιανουαρίου 2015

Book review Relational Reflexology: The Blog Posts

Around the world much debate on various levels and areas (legal, social, economic, scientific) has been going on regarding Complementary and Alternative Medicine, of course as Reflexologists we should also focus on the debate regarding our modality more closely.

The time of anecdotal evidence and unsupported claims is fading away, especially and specifically if one has the ambition of Reflexology accepted and integrated in what we call western medicine.

I consider myself your everyday Reflexologist, I have not gone through nor posses academic rationale. 
I love offering Reflexology; I feel very good at it, and enjoy my acceptance as a practitioner from the recipients of our modality. 
The first time I touched another person’s feet with the intention to offer what we call Reflexology was in 1992.

I state these things because these issues are adressed in the book and by reading Nicholas book, Relational Reflexology: The Blog PostsI lived again my development from the first glance I took at a Reflexology chart to how I anticipate who I am as Reflexologist today, what I am doing today, and pausing for a moment now, choosing how to proceed. 

For a long time now I feel very strongly that there is more to Reflexology then just stimulating a given reflex point. If you also have felt this way but have found it difficult to put down in words, then this book is for you. This book contains the answer to the question 

“What makes a successful Reflexologist”. 

Of course there is not one answer to that question, for every recipient of our method there is at least one element of our multidimensional method that they relate too. I never would have expected for somebody to find an easy to understand, thoroughly structured step by step, and academically sound way to surface all that Reflexology is.

For instance the area of research, this can be a very stressful area for your average Reflexologist, by now we already know that research is not only offering Reflexology. 
But what is it, what is bias, blinding, quantitative/qualitative? 

Nichola explains these and much more in simple language, even for me your average Reflexologist. I understand now and can utilize the information.

Who are our clients, why do they come to us, probably for Reflexology. But why do they commit to treatments with me with you? In some cases for a long ongoing period of time, even when the initial issue has gone. 

Is it me? What part about me? 
If I only new, I would refine these qualities, I would get better. 

Nichola addresses this, it is like she has seen me and you work. She even has advice on how to get better, stay humble and introduces us to the ethics associated.

I appreciated very much the information on Traditional Chinese medicine and the examples given from her own experience on how to utilize this knowledge in our practice. 
Of course the tremendous amount of information provided on the unattractive matter of scientific principles like, psychoneuroimmunology, cognitive neuroscience, are offered to the reader in such an attractive way that you wish there was more. 
I understood, and there are no pictures, incredible! I can begin to explain, justify what I am doing when I touch someone’s feet.

The chapters of the book  addressing complex health issues like sub-fertility and migraine could easily each be a book on their own. There is a lot of useful information, information that you as a Reflexologist can immediately use.

This is not another book depicting a new method or a new chart, it is a book about you the individual therapist, and what makes you as a Reflexologist special and unique. 
Either novice or experienced Reflexologist, think of it as a book of the possible "new you", it will help you find yourself!

At the end of this review I have a confession to make.

I am in despair!

I am to speak at the 2015 ICR conference about the science behind Reflexology, leaving the charts aside. 

By reading Nicholas book I see that she has covered many parts of my planned presentation! 

What am I to do?

I know, I will utilize her information also, I will develop, I will make it even better, I will become better. Maybe that is what Nichola means by self-development.  

This paragraph kind of stood out for me.

"Leaning too heavily towards understanding the exact mechanics of a reflexology encounter from a solely quantifiable stand-point might be akin to trying to understand the taste and texture of a chocolate cake through describing its molecular structure. Whilst it might be useful to know how it is constructed, perhaps it is the taste that really counts.

Spiros Dimitrakoulas